Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hooked Hoop

  Sometimes I get bored and try to learn other crafts, or maybe it's that I get excited about some new craft then I get bored of it. Well, either way, at one point I was making hula hoops. They were cool, but I think I was the only one who thought so. I still like them, and it's actually a really good, low impact workout for your core.

  This is a hoop that I made for one of my best friends, a while back. I personalized it with her name, hand cut with an exacto knife from duck tape. That took some patience, but I really like how it turned out!


  If you'd like to make your own hoop, there is a great tutorial here. I've tried different combinations for taping and decorating the hoops, but one thing I've been meaning to try is to crochet a cover for the hoop instead of decorating with tape.

  So this is what I'm doing.. In order to do this I had to leave the hoop open so the crochet can slip over the hoop. This is my polyethylene tubing. It's 3/4" in diameter and 100 psi. It can be found in your local hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot.

  Using a size F hook, I made a ring that will fit around the hoop. It came out to a chain of 15 then I joined. I didn't want it too tight to where I would have trouble slipping it on, and I didn't want to so loose that it would  move around while hooping. So it's just right.

  Then I single crocheted around in a spiral, changing colors about every inch, so I wouldn't get bored to death.  Here's what I have so far.


 Click HERE for the final hooked hoop, and how to finish off!
 
Bonus!
  It was this video from Hoopnotica that got me sprung on hooping:


No comments: