Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns


  Almost two years ago, when my husband and I just moved into our new house, I decided to start my first crocheted throw. I wanted one that will match our new couch in our new living room. A lot of new things going on. I was still fairly new to crochet and wasn't very yarn savvy. So I bought some yarn that would match and was soft enough to want to use. I didn't just want something to look at. I bought the yarn at Joann's and I do not remember the brand, but it was something like this.
 It was soft and pretty and I loved how it changed colors. When I finally started crocheting with it, it turned out to be more of a pain than anything! I tried different hooks, but could never see my stitches so I had no idea where to put my hook next. I ended up using a pretty big hook, and went in between the double crochet stitches. I made that thing work! I was determined. That yarn was almost $8! I remember doubling it up because it was too thin, oh that was another pain! I liked the way the colors changed gradually, making a stripe look. I didn't want to lose that, so I actually had to find the point where both skeins changed at the same time! Sheesh, it sounds like too much work just typing about it. Well, ultimately I was very happy with the outcome. It took months, but it's still on my couch today. Would I do it again? Probably not.


 I'm not really sure what I would say my favorite yarn is. I use acrylic yarn the most, maybe because it's cheap or maybe because there are so many colors, or maybe I'm still not that yarn savvy. If I had to pick a brand it would most likely be "I Love This Yarn" from Hobby Lobby. I'm really diggin their "I Love This Cotton" too, but I'll talk about the acrylic for now.


  If you've read my previous posts, you know that I'm working on a blanket. This is the yarn that I am using. The color is white sparkle. It's pretty soft and it has a thin silver ribbon spun in it to give it some bling. This yarn is great to work with, not at all as frustrating as boucle.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

lovestitch said...

Oh how I love your yarn, so beautiful and so soft! The variegate colors you chose is really match my heart! I've never tried a blanket before, your white one looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see how beautiful it turns out, but it's amazing work! x

Dee said...

Love the blanket. It looks like it is really coming together well. I never take on big projects. Maybe in summer. Maybe. LOL