Friday, January 28, 2011

Cell Phone Case Pattern

A friend of mine asked me to make him a cell  phone case for his Blackberry. So this is how I did it. There are no exact measurements or stitch counts. It all depends on the size of your phone or whatever you decide to put in the case. This would be good for an IPOD too. I had to use another case for my measurements since I didn't have the phone.

Materials:
  • worsted weight yarn
  • size F hook
  • velcro (sticky or sew on)
  • a phone for perfect measurements
 

Abbreviations:
  •  hdc = half double crochet
  •  st = stitch
  •  ea = each
  •  ch = chain

Pattern:


Make a chain that goes across your phone, plus 1. Mine came out to 15 chains.
hdc in second ch from hook and in ea st across.
make a second hdc in the last st.
hdc in the next st and ea st across on the other side of the ch.
it should look like this
do not join. hdc in next hdc and ea st around.
the corners will bunch up which is what we want. 
just push the corner in towards you so you can continue crocheting on the outside of the case.
continue with hdc in ea st, spiraling around until it is the length of your phone. do not fasten off.
now we'll make the the flap. 
hdc in ea st across the back of the case.
ch 1 and turn.
hdc in ea st back down the row.
my count here was 12 sts, yours may be different.
ch 1 and turn.
continue making rows with the same amount of stitches until your flap is as long as you want it.
fasten off. 
to close the case, I used sticky back Velcro. You can use a snap or button or leave it as is. 
I cut about 2 inches of the felt part, rounded it off and stuck it on the case. Then I cut a smaller piece of the other part and stuck that on the flap. I made the flap piece smaller because if the little hooks catch on the yarn it will eventually get all fuzzy and felted. 
Here is a pic of the first case I made for my own phone. It is old, dirty and beat up, but it still does the job. The Velcro looks much better on the black because it blends in. I think a button would have been cuter for the blue one, but I don't think my friend was going for cute.


 I love seeing finished products from my patterns. If you want to be featured on my blog with your finished items, just shoot me an email. If you don't want to be featured but still want to send me pics, that's great too! Just let me know in the email if you want me to post your pics or not.

18 comments:

Tru said...

That looks great. Does the velcro hold up? I would think it wouldn't stick to the yarn very well, so I've been reluctant to use it on crocheted projects.

Mindy said...

Nice!!

daperfectmix said...

Thanks, Mindy!

Tru, I haven't had any problems with the velcro coming off.

LuvMeNaturally said...

Thank you! I have been looking for one of these and this one is so easy.

daperfectmix said...

awesome! i'm so glad you like it!

lovestitch said...

Oh it's really cute! You're super cute, Daperfectmix! Thanks for the tutorial, you made it so easy!

Anonymous said...

Thks so much for the pattern - I made one for my Tracfone out of yellow WW - used 8 stitches across and used a large gold button - when I did the flap I chaied 2 and skipped a sc - and then did sc over that row - made the button hole. Tuned out really cute and perfect size.
Sharon

iPhone 4 Cases said...

Woolen covers for cell phones! Never tried before! However, will definitely think about for my iPhone. I was searching for leather covers but got the idea for woolen one. not bad!

Crochet Addict UK said...

Fantastic Pattern I have made one for a friend for her mother in law:
http://crochetaddictcfs.blogspot.com/2011/12/fo-friday-161211.html

alfred said...

Cell phones are very prone to scratches, dust, and other damages. Why? This is because of the way you use and handle it. When using your iPhone 4 you will not avoid of placing it to places where it can get scratches or damages.

E_Cell

Nate McCloud said...

Nice pattern! My brother wants me to make him a cell phone case, and I think this pattern is just what he's looking for!

Just a couple of questions, though:

1. Aren't you supposed to ch 2 prior to hdc? It's my understanding that you ch 1 at the start of a sc row, ch 2 to start an hdc row, ch 3 to start a dc row, and ch 4 to start a tc row.

2. I need my cell phone case to have a belt loop on it. Any advice for this?

daperfectmix said...

Hi Nate,

You can chain 2, but I think it makes less bulk if you chain 1. You can try both ways and see which you prefer.

For a belt loop, maybe you can join with a slip stitch on the back of the case then chain a length that you want. Attach a button to the chain to close the loop on the back of the case. I haven't tried it, but in theory seems like it would work.

Nate McCloud said...

Thanks for the advice, daperfectmix! I'll give that a try!

Fraisiperles said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I like the way you start the bottom of the case. Very easy and it fit perfectly.
Nice week-end!
Francine
Montreal,Canada
fraisiperles.com

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

I'm a newbie, and trying something like this for the first time. I'm so excited!

I don't understand after you come around and it says "do not join". I have one side curled up, but not the other.

Also your picture--is that the tail near the loop? Because my tail is on the other end.

Thank you so much! If I can figure this out, maybe I can make a friend a cover for her tablet for Christmas.

THANK YOU!

daperfectmix said...

Hi Judy! Thanks for trying my pattern. What I mean by "do not join" is that it will be a continuous spiral instead of completing the circle every round. I hope that makes sense. What you see in the pictures is my working yarn. I think I worked the tail in as I went so it is not shown. I'm planning to make a video for each of my patterns. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

Thanks so much! I am so thrilled!!! I made a beautiful little purse for both my iPod and headset! I'm a beginner and just so amazed to be able to take some yarn and make this.

Thanks for helping. I'll try to email you a picture. Judy

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

Thanks so much! I am so thrilled!!! I made a beautiful little purse for both my iPod and headset! I'm a beginner and just so amazed to be able to take some yarn and make this.

Thanks for helping. I'll try to email you a picture. Judy